Tuesday 3 February 2009

The last book I read, the last film I saw...



I finally finished The Good Guy by one of my favorite author Dean Koontz. Not exactly a horror writer, more of a thriller suspense kind of guy. He does have a great way of writing some good humour into a terrible situations. I've been on this book for months and the only reason it took so long to read was that I wasn't curled up on a beach somewhere.

A good book that gets going straight away. The main character in question is a guy who we would all like to meet if we were in a dire situation. Slightly falls down a bit at the end, I found myself wanting a bit more. A flaw I get with a lot of his books, enjoyable none the less for those who like a good chase with a good twist here and there.

Premise

Timothy Carrier is an unassuming stone mason who, while having a beer at his regular bar, is accidentally mistaken for a hitman by a stranger who hands him an envelope containing $10,000 and a photo of the intended victim, a writer named Linda Paquette. The real killer arrives soon afterwards, and Tim manages to bluff him by pretending to be the client, saying he's had second thoughts, and cancelling the hit while giving the killer the $10,000 as a "no-kill fee". Tim covertly follows the killer outside, and is shocked when the killer places a portable siren on top of his car before driving off; the hitman is a cop. Tim tracks down Linda and flees, using his network of friends to stay one step ahead of harm, while being tracked by a relentless sociopath who is more well-connected and dangerous than anyone could imagine.



My film trip to Disbury was cool, nice cinema complex that even offers unlimited films for £11.99 per month. Why can't any of the cinemas around here do that?

Anyway My Bloody Valentine 3D wasn't bad...if you like horror that is! The 3D effects were ranged from pretty OK to very good. One question needs asking though, why are people in horror films so stupid?

No comments:

Post a Comment