Sunday 1 March 2009

Fright night...

During the night on a Farmers as you can imagine it gets really hot. I usually open the front shop doors to let in some much needed air. Thing is, it's the middle on the night so I always barricade the doors with chairs and baskets. That way I can tell if anyone wants to come in. Usually I get someone stopping by the front door and shouting in "everything OK?" Which is very nice that people want to check up on you.

Well Saturday night I was working away and I heard a thud. Looking into the shop there was this complete stranger standing inside, just about to help himself to some bread. It was shock to see some one actually inside the shop at 2am! Instinct kicked in, and I shouted "No...get out...NOW". As I got closer it was obvious that this guy was either completely drunk, completely high or possibly both. Without thinking I grabbed him by the back of his coat and frog marched him out, warning him that if he comes back I'll be calling the police. After shoving him out I watched him completely stagger up the road, hardly able to put one foot in front on the other. How he managed to get past the chairs and baskets is beyond me...walking was a real hard thing to do!

I locked up the doors for another few hours, but after it struck me how nasty things could have turned out...he could have turned violent, had a knife....anything.

I've been doing these markets for goodness knows how many years and this was the first time this had happened.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no that`s horrible. Sounds like you handled it well. Do you remember that time we thought that guy in the black car was going to try and break in? Sounds like you need someone else with you now. It`s not safe when you can`t keep an eye on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well from September 09 that will be possible!

    ReplyDelete